Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-Story 11 (First border crossing)


Our first border crossing, from Italy into Slovenia, for what would be a very short transit to Croatia. 

It was hard to believe that we were leaving Italy. It had taken us nine weeks, and we had walked just over one thousand kilometers. 

I felt pangs of melancholy, as a child leaving home for the first time, knowing that great adventures awaited us, yet feeling sad to be leaving the comfort of the known. 

Italy had offered us many gifts, and I knew I would miss her: a language we grew to adore, lasting friendships, hospitality, and love. She wasn’t always easy on us. She knocked us down often, and challenged us physically, emotionally and spiritually. From those ruins, however, a stronger foundation was emerging, one more firmly based on trust, confidence and love.  

As we looked ahead towards Slovenia, those were the qualities I knew I wanted to carry with me.  

On January 29, 2002, we entered Slovenia. Ciao Italia e Grazie! 

(Excerpt taken from our book “Walking for Peace, an inner journey”).

No comments:

Post a Comment