Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-Story 7 (Brush with Fame in Italy)

A picture speaks a thousand words! 

With our impossible-to-miss signs, we became magnets for people wanting to stop and ask about our walk. It was also an opportunity for us to reiterate our message that peace in the world begins with peace within, and that small acts of kindness weave the fabric of peace. 

On this day entering Cotignola, a journalist stopped us for the first of many more interviews to come in Italy. The article opened doors for even more people to engage with us. 

However, speaking with the media would create tension between Alberto and I.  He wanted to speak openly about his inner journey, the spiritual pilgrimage that we were walking, while I saw every mention of the word “God” or “spirituality” alienating us and stamping us with a “religious” label that I longed to avoid. 

I saw our message as a universal one and not tied to any one religion…and I wanted to keep it that way. I also believed my spirituality to be a personal matter, whereas Alberto shared his openly. 

Having the courage to speak openly and authentically about my spiritual journey would become the hallmark of our long trek to Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment