Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-story 14 (Privileged Pilgrim Credencial)


During my stay at the Capuchin monastery in Karlobag recovering from blisters and challenging walking conditions (rain, mountains, no rest stops), I thought of Alberto often and wondered how he was doing walking alone. I knew that he had little money, and that a man knocking on a door seeking help was perhaps less likely to receive it than a woman doing so, or even a couple. I was worried for him.
Alberto had stopped at Karlobag and had told them about me, and so they were expecting me. I was treated with love and kindness beyond compare. I had my own room with a bed, bed sheets and a hot shower! And of course, warm meals in abundance. For a pilgrim, it was pure luxury! Fra Ante Logara, the monastery’s Superior, had given Alberto the names of people he knew along the way who would help, and sent him with his blessings.
He did the same for me, and added a most precious gift: a letter of introduction explaining who I was and my walk for peace. I was overwhelmed with gratitude. This letter would become my pilgrim credential, and I would collect the stamps of all the monasteries and places where I would stop along the way. I would use it all the way to Greece. Huala, Fra Ante, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment