Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-Story 3 (the Vatican - my starting point)


“Why did you start walking in Rome?” is a question I was often asked. 

Many assumed I was Catholic. I am not. I was baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church, but never practiced that religion. I do consider myself a spiritual person. I do believe in a Higher Power that many call God, Allah, the Universe, the Creator…there are many labels, but to me that power, above all else, is Love, and all paths spiritual ultimately lead to Love. 

On the Camino, I learned that the pilgrimage to Rome is called the Way of the Heart. It is the path of Love, but not human love; rather the grand unconditional Love of the Divine. 

I wanted to begin at the heart of that Love, at a sacred site that was imbued with the energy and devotion of other pilgrims before me. 

On November 21, 2001, I took my starting picture, and my first steps towards Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment