Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-Story 4 (Lonely days of Pilgrimage)


Those first days of walking alone were difficult. 

There were no yellow arrows (as on the Camino) to show me the way. I was on the open road, facing traffic, often with little or no shoulder to walk on. There was no one waiting for me at the end of the day or calling to make sure that I had arrived safely. If I disappeared, no one would know about it. 

More than once, I questioned the sanity of my decision. 

The people I met were polite, and curious to meet the woman they had passed in their cars. To my surprise, the Italians that I met only spoke their language. It was becoming clear that I needed to learn Italian – and fast!  

On the quieter side roads, the scenery helped me forget the loneliness of the way. 

This photo was taken on the way to Rieti, and exemplifies the many villages that dot the very scenic foothills of Monti Sabini.

No comments:

Post a Comment