Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-story 18 (Albania)


Our time in Serbia and Montenegro was brief, with surprisingly little contact with the people, the highlight being an unforgettable conversation with a Serbian sailor who would remind me not to paint all Serbians with the same brush. My fears would be unwarranted here, but put to the test in neighbouring Albania.

From Italy to Serbia, we were warned about the dangers of walking in Albania. With the fall of communism, violence and corruption were rampant, and poverty was high. Walking through there, I felt as if I had been transported to a third-world country, with refuse littering the fields and children running barefoot in it, accompanied by scrawny-looking dogs. Young and old alike begged us for money. Compared to them, we must have appeared the wealthy tourists. 

On more than one occasion, we were offered lifts, but they couldn’t understand why we insisted on walking since, to them, only the poorest of the poor walked. We saw opulent wealth standing in shocking contrast to the pervasive poverty. I felt more confused and off-balance than ever, while Alberto, appeared to be at his best, more confident in himself than I had ever seen him, all of which all of which served to deflate, rather than lift, me all of which served to deflate, rather than lift, meserved to deflate, rather than lift, me. Every little thing bothered me; I felt assaulted on every level, and found myself responding in irritation, even anger, and retreating further inwards.

Despite some wonderful experiences, with people dedicated to helping this impoverished country, Albania was my personal low-point, the place where I allowed my fears to define my experience. I felt that I had failed my walk for peace, and the message I was carrying. 

Still, as I crossed the border into Macedonia, I couldn’t help but take one last glance and say “falemenderit”, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment