Thursday, October 20, 2016

Walking for Peace Photo-Story 17 (Joined by Pilgrims in Dubrovnik)


We were coming to the end of our Croatian experience, and I felt pangs of sadness at the thought of leaving. Croatia, like Italy, had become comfortable. I had become accustomed to the people and the land. They had embraced us and our message, and thus woven a web of protection that accompanied us wherever we went. I was now reluctant to leave that security, and once again walk in the unknown. 

Despite my intention not to be influenced by the judgments of others, I found myself doing exactly that. Stories of the atrocities committed by Serbians against their Croatian neighbours kept replaying themselves in my mind, making me less than enthusiastic about walking there. 

In the picture above, we are leaving Dubrovnik, accompanied by a group of women (and one man!) who had heard about our walk and wanted to support our efforts. They had also surprised us with a generous donation that they raised in their local church. 

Although the day was damp, our enthusiasm was not. Their beautiful voices rang out in prayer, sending shivers down my spine and, at the same time, calming my anxious heart – reassurance from the heavens that all would be well. 

On April 11, 2002, we entered the country of Serbia and Montenegro, about to experience for ourselves whether all we had heard was indeed true.

No comments:

Post a Comment